Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Foliage, Food & Wine Fest

September has been busy and beautiful (I'm over my crankiness at that one full day of rain we had. We needed it and the gardens look great). Gorgeous mums now grace the front entryway. I snuck off to try a new restaurant, Stella’s in Castine, with a friend of mine for dinner and some live jazz. French onion soup was on the menu and just heavenly. Diane Linscott sang, accompanied by Rick Dostie on piano.

Guests have been taking advantage of the lighthouse package this month—and had great weather for the boat ride. I pack the lunches myself and try to create sandwiches I think guests will enjoy (the smoked chicken with boursin cheese and heirloom tomatoes—on the side so the bread wouldn’t get soggy—got rave reviews). In October, the inn has a few more special offerings. The Second Annual Foliage, Food & Wine Festival is Oct. 11-13. A six-course tasting menu with wine pairings will be held at the inn Friday, Oct. 12. Tickets are $30 and seating is limited. Other events around town include a wine dinner Thursday night at the Arborvine and a sparkling wine luncheon Saturday at the Wescott Forge. The festival culminates with a “Taste of the Peninsula” Sunday afternoon in the town park with live jazz and delights from local food purveyors and producers.

We also have our Monday night candlelit lobster dinners Oct. 15 and Oct. 22 and cookbook author Brooke Dojny will be coming by one Sunday morning to meet guests and see how we’re doing baking some of her fabulous bread recipes from Dishing Up Maine. I'm cooking breakfast tomorrow morning and have a recipe from her book earmarked. She came by the inn on foot, while her car was being taken care of at the shop. I love living in town!

Last week, I went on a field trip to the Brooklin Boat Yard to see my friend Bob Stephens. I put the top down on my convertible, grabbed the Cartwrights, guests who are self-proclaimed boatyard junkies, wrapped up some lemon zest cake for the boatbuilders, and left Charlotte in charge of the inn. At the boatyard, they are building a 59-foot cruising ketch for some folks from Texas who are frequent guests at the inn. Bob loves his job--it shows--and the boats they build are elegant, just elegant. Bob's been helping me with my quest for a small rowboat and he had a lead for me on a tender but I looked at the pictures and I'm not sure it's the right one for me (I have to admit, I'm not sure if a tender is the same as a dingy or a rowboat or not. I'm lucky to have a friend who'll make sure I end up with a beauty of a wooden boat guests can use to row around in.)

When guests ask where to walk or jog, I suggest heading down Parker Point Road. I got out myself last week. From the inn, an old town fountain, a gift of Robert Adams in 1902, marks a half-mile. Just over a mile is the Blue Hill Country Club, with its golf course and tennis courts. Just beyond are lovely views in both directions. To the right is a pond replete with cattails and lily pads. To the left is the salt water of Blue Hill Harbor, shown in the picture above and here. The views just get more amazing farther down the road but that was all the time I had that day.

No comments: