Friday, January 18, 2008

O fickle Maine

Last week I was in a convertible--with the top down (OK, I was bundled up but it was almost 50 degrees and full-on sunshine) and we could see grass everywhere and only a few snow piles hung around. Monday we got another 10 inches of snow, gorgeous powder.

The other day I went cross country skiing in East Blue Hill, and between the sun and the exercise, got down to one layer, in spite of temperatures in the low teens. Winter sports make all this weather so much fun. I'm on the lookout for inner tubes for sledding. I've taken quite a few reservations from folks in Florida--they tell me about the sunshine and the 70s, I tell them about fleece and shoveling. Guests coming in on the weekend were hoping to snowshoe but settled for hiking instead. I got out to Blue Hill Mountain, which was a bit icy (but the views are still great). Barred Island, down on Deer Isle, was more peaceful than ever. I had a yummy breakfast at the Blue Moose--so nice to be served!

I have to update the chowder debate--Molly, of Molly B Designs, had me over for supper the other night, a scrumptious chowder full of fish and scallops. Her secret ingredient? Smoked salmon! She begins by sautéing that with the onions and makes a bit of a roux.

I wanted to share some of my holiday mail with you. That huge fabulous boat I've gone on about more than once? Here she is! The Baldwins, from Texas, sent me this.

A delightful couple, the Engelbrechts, from Germany, sent me this photo, which Lothar took in the mirror of room 8. As I always say, I have the nicest guests!

I've made it easier to leave a comment here on my blog, though I always appreciate readers who take a moment to send me an email.

No comments: