Wednesday, February 6, 2008

No doldrums here

I had the most fun inquiry today. Authur Will Azeperak emailed asking if the Blue Hill Inn has an attic. Turns out he is working on a scifi series, set in Blue Hill! Did you know Kurt Gödel stayed here in 1942? He was unquestionably the greatest logician of the 20th century, says Peter Suber. Suber's article mentions that Gödel walked along Parker Point Road, deep in thought, just as we do today. Gödel proved time travel had definite descriptive mathematical formulas, Azeperak said today. He will somehow be putting all this--and details about the inn--in the next book in his series.

I was on my own for dinner tonight and craving a burger. My favorite burger in town is at the Blue Moose. I bundled up and trudged down to the store to get a local paper and down to the Moose, where I lucked into a booth. But then the waitress broke the news to me: no hamburgers. No hamburgers?! Turns out one of the elementary school basketball teams had come in, hungry for burgers (just like me). So I had to put down the paper and peruse the menu. And then decide between an Asian sounding crepe or scallops with fava beans. I ended up ordering the scallops. And so I settled in to reading the paper, nibbling the perfect french bread, and sipping Spinyback's sauvignon blanc. Mike, who along with his wife, is the propietor, swung by my table. I wasn't alarmed as he often stops by to chat with guests. Tonight, however, he was delivering bad news--the scallop dish, ready to be delivered to my table, had been delivered to the floor. Alas! Did I want to wait for it to be made again or order something else? I stayed with the scallops and read more of the paper and enjoyed the house salad with a really nice vinagrette dressing. Everyone apologized for the delay but I was having a lovely time. And then came the scallops, which were so good--oodles of them broiled perfectly and surrounding peas and potatoes and corn and beans--so delicious. Had I not been forced by the lack of hamburger to venture there, I'd have missed them. Turns out the basketball players were in because they had lost every game but had been such good sports about it, their parents decided they deserved a treat. Their loss was my gain. I'll be back soon.

No comments: