Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"I fell asleep in the hammock"

We have a portfolio of techniques to help you relax: our fruity iced teas we deliver to your room or to the garden or to the library, the wingback chairs with reading lamps, the waterfront park two blocks from the inn, our heavenly mattresses, pressed luxurious sheets, fluffy duvets, and pile of pillows; afternoon snacktime (not unlike kindergarten, though you don't have to nap on the floor), the day spa two blocks away that has two practitioners, one for you and one for your partner who also needs to relax--or both for you! We can send you off to the salt water, to swim or boat or just sit with the salt breeze in your hair. We have bubbly and bourbon and bonbons. We'll print you out driving directions, wherever it is you're heading, we'll help you with the GPS, we'll carry your bags up and get them situated on the luggage stands for you. It would be silly to call it "the very relaxing, wonderfully calming, deeply satisfying Blue Hill Inn" but we could.

I realized I hadn't shown you the red doors yet. I've been making small changes throughout the inn as I settle in (one year on July 17th!). I can't tell you how many guests have asked me to take their pictures in front of the new doors.
I'm always adding more books to the library, including three very Mainey books this week alone: Linda Greenlaw's latest, Fisherman's Bend, Blueberries for Sal (not sure why I hadn't had a copy of that one) and Yellow Boatie (which I first read this winter but now have two signed copies--one for the Cape House and one for the library). Helen Sylvester, the author of Yellow Boatie, had a book signing at the Lobster Crate, the marvelous giftshop and seafood shop on the road to Brooklin. I could pick up books and lobster for breakfast at the same time! I'm not usually on the schedule to cook breakfasts--I'm on in the afternoon making cookies and in the evening making hors d'oeuvres--but I filled in the other day and got to make the pecan coffee cake from the Silver Palate cookbook. Mmm, mmm. I hope your July is going as deliciously as ours.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

It sounds absolutely lovely there!