Monday, August 25, 2008

How is it late August already?!?

Summer is flying by in a whirlwind of boat rides, art, and the best guests ever.

You should plan to be here on August 21 next year. Our garden party has become an annual event because it's just too delicious not to have it each year.

The theme--polka dots! Matt, head-of-kitchen extraordinaire, made the magical cake. All of the staff pitched in to make a great party and the weather held and the moon came up and there were stars, in my eyes and in the sky. The inn's orchard is a great place for a party. We have a fire bowl for some extra heat and light (and s'mores), plenty of seating, and even a Twister board to set up. We've wired speakers and hung lights. It's idyllic! You could plan your party here---a small wedding, a cocktail party, a special event, a family reunion...

Yesterday, Jetsun Penkalski had an art opening at the Turtle Gallery in Deer Isle. We already love Jetsun because he works at Blue Hill Books and doesn't mock your selection, ever, but now we love him because he's an amazing artist, too. Above is Shadows in the Forest #4, oil on canvas, a painting from this year. Below is Golden Pool. I especially like the Turtle Gallery because Elena has a broad range of art--glass, paintings, sculpture, jewelry. I managed to escape yesterday with just two bracelets, but the images aren't on the website so you'll have to visit me or the gallery to see them.

I have gotten a good share of boatrides in, in case you were wondering why I haven't been blogging more. I had cocktails aboard Anna, who happened to be built at my favorite boatyard in Brooklin. I've been in a rowboat or two, I was on a kayak on Toddy Pond, and I was taken out mackerel fishing and swimming on a lovely Boston Whaler. Tina, who works at WoodenBoat publications, captains the Whaler and brought lemon, a baggie, a fillet knife, and cocktail sauce. We had ceviche on the beach! I had also brought some smoked salmon and cheddar cheese from the farmer's market so we had quite a picnic. This is my sort of August.

Guests have gone on boatrides, too, with all my favorites--Capt. Bill, Karen, the MERI eco-cruises, Beth and Peter, and Capt. Lee.

Capt. Carey and his crew stayed here to race his Atlantic at the nationals at the Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club in Blue Hill. Julie Jo Ferhle watched from aboard Anna and took this picture. That's Blue Hill in August.

My latest favorite thing? The homemade pickles at the Birdwatcher's Cafe. It's new, right down by the water not two blocks from the inn, and sweet as all get out. I took a friend there for a birthday lunch and fell in love with the pickles. We had a BLT and a chicken salad sandwich and shared. Both were yummy but a BLT is especially decadent.

I hope your August has been summery and decadent, too. Are you ready for the fair? Labor Day Weekend is always fairtime around here. Did you know that the Blue Hill Fair was fodder for Charlotte's Web? I just found out from a previous innkeeper that E.B. White actually sold eggs to the inn for awhile!

No comments: