Friday, June 5, 2009

Spring Bounty

Dan, from Dan's Flower Farm, brought in his first bouquet of the season. They truly are so beautiful you could cry. My photographs do not do them justice in the least but I had to show you.

On the menu for hors d'oeuvres tonight? A blueberry sage baked brie, a recipe adapted from one in Brooke Dojny's cookbook, Dishing Up Maine. Lest you think I only cook out of one book, let me tell you about the Maine Mapmaker's Kitchen, newly out. Jane Crosen--of the incredible hand drawn maps of this area--together with Richard Washburn, her husband, has created a Downeast cookbook celebrating creative, healthy recipes "for home, camp, and a float."

It took reading a review of Becky's in Portland in the latest issue of Maine Boats, Homes, and Harbors to articulate something I have always felt. "Grilled crab and cheese! Try that and you'll never waste your money on a lobster roll again," wrote Peter Spectre. My first crab and swiss came from the Fisherman's Friend, when it used to be across from the elementary school, when the school was still in Stonington, say 1988. You can still get one at the Friend. Mmmm mmmm.
I hope your spring has been as beautiful and delicious and bountiful. If it hasn't, come see us.

No comments: