Sunday, July 18, 2010

O the eating!

I blush to tell you all the places I've visited in the last few weeks: the Brooklin Inn, Table, Dennett's Wharf, Guildive sailboat, the Blue Hill Wine Shop, Arborvine, Fish Net...

Friends and I happened to be in Brooklin around dinner time and lucked out with a table at the Brooklin Inn. Proprietor Chip Angell helped us select a yummy wine from the very nice list. A few in our group opted for the prix fixe off the menu and enjoyed a fresh fresh salad, delightful three-fish bouillabiase, and choice of dessert for $25 (especially nice, I thought, was the freedom to choose any of a good list of sweet things). I opted for a broiled rib eye with chantrelles and was certainly in heaven.

For the sake of the guests only and only for the purest altruistic motives, I went for a sail on Guildive. Capts. Zander and Kate were delightful and took great care of us. We went for a sunset cruise, leaving off the dock in Castine. Dennett's Wharf is conveniently located right there (think--really fun bar and on-land bathrooms!). We were able to board a bit early and slid out into the harbor, past the Maine Maritime Academy's training ship, the State of Maine. We didn't have much wind but we had the best time! The views, the hors d'oeuvres, the chatting with Kate and Zander, the wildlife... So much fun!

Twice now I've had occasion to lunch at Table. Mmmmm. Cevishe of the day, their hamburger, the beet salad. Mmmmmm.

And, I know you are really pitying me now, I had to go to Arborvine this past week, too! Crispy roast duckling... tournedos pommery... Bagaduce River Oysters--on the half shell with a frozen sake mignonette--mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm. And I don't even like oysters. Order twice as many as you think you could possibly eat. Trust me on this. And then, hope that the crab and avocado tower is on the menu.
And if the person you're dining with says, "Oh, we can share," make that person order his or her own. Just trust me, you'll thank me. And then, dessert... Save room. I have no idea how but there's a lemon mousse napolean... A fruit crisp perhaps... Luckily, the restaurant is a short walk from the inn and the stroll home is down hill.

How lucky are we in Blue Hill to have so much great eating?!

We had two live music special treats, too! Mesa Schubeck, who you might have met on a recent stay as she is an assistant innkeeper here this summer or who you might have met at one of the contra dances as she plays with the Oakum Bay String Band, entertained at hors d'oeuvres hour Friday night and assured us it won't be the last time. She's a delightful pianist and vocalist.

Down the street at the new and improved wine shop, Bill McHenry did a couple of impromptu concerts among the bottles.

And then a bottle of bubbly on the deck at the Cockatoo in Sunset--because there is always something to celebrate! Among other things this week, it was my third anniversary as Sarah Pebworth, innkeeper at the Blue Hill Inn!

If your summer isn't delighting you, come see us. We can surely help.

No comments: