Saturday, July 11, 2009

a bit of shopping

Saturday mornings in Blue Hill, Maine, are the best! Blue Hill has its farmer's market at the fairgrounds and I go to scoop up breads and meats and art. Each week there is a new guest artist. I've gotten handmade purses and glass flowers and admired hooked rugs. This week, the Salty Spinners caught my eye. The hats they make are great.

I got to see Katy Allgeyer's new work, too. You can see some on her website, including a new one of the Opera House in her building series that I am craving.

And I made the mistake of going to the Handworks Gallery, just a block from the inn. I thought I might find a new pair of earrings but instead got this great bracelet which has hardly left my wrist since. I haven't gotten a good photo of it to show you but guests and friends have been admiring it all week. Marcia, at Handworks, has a marvelous collection of art and jewelry and beautiful objects.

Back at the inn, our strawberry plants are still producing, we've loved using the microplaner, and the white gingerbread on this morning's menu was a big hit in the dining room.

From the guest book: "Blue Hill makes me weep with its beauty." "We arrived on a very rainy day, exhausted & weary, & this lovely B&B made us whole. The elegance, the exquisite cuisine & the absolutely delightful staff made this a memorable & restful time." "The atmosphere is enchanting, the service top-notch and the food delightful!" (The last comment was left by kayakers who arrived dripping from rain. I love that even a bit of gray weather can't stop visitors from enjoying their stay.)

If you're craving some pampering, come our way.

No comments: