Monday, July 27, 2009

Great food, great guests, fun happenings

You know as a dedicated innkeeper, I force myself to try new restaurants on your behalf. Last week, I headed out to Stonington and had dinner at the Maritime Cafe. What a great view and pretty dining room. I especially liked the appetizer list--full of fresh seafood with original twists. On nice days they have outdoor seating right on the busy harbor. In the evening, a beautiful night sky makes everythig taste even better.

Last night, I tried the Cafe This Way in Bar Harbor.
While the quiet of Blue Hill is my favorite, the bustle of Bar Harbor is fun to visit from time to time. I had dinner with Jill Smith, baker extraordinaire from Millbrook Company, Bobbie Lynn Hutchins, owner and chef at Cafe Bluefish, my all time favorite Bar Harbor dining experience, and her partner. Julie Harris, one of the three Cafe This Way owners, visited us from time to time. It's Julie who has designed the menu--with so many interesting choices it's hard to decide. Luckily, we were all willing to share. I think the smoked duck wrapped scallops were my favorite, or perhaps the ribeye with bleu cheese...

And on the menu here at the inn--Stonington crabmeat quiche is on the menu for this morning, Jeff made a lemon poppy seed bread the other day that was delicious, and then there are the savory tarts... O, and the pancakes. Guests have been raving: "Especially loved the blueberry pancakes" "Blueberry pancakes to die for!" "Every bite of breakfast was memorable!"

I'll have to tell you about our fall offerings and my gallery hopping another day. Right now, it's off to make some of those pancakes for the guests.

I do hope your July is as delicious.

No comments: